Friday, September 21, 2007

Chicken Noodle Soup Formula

My secret is out of the closet! Yes, I too have succumbed to the "chicken noodle soup" for all that ails!

Well, okay, in this case nothing really ails, however the chicken noodle soup comes to the rescue, not that anything really needed rescuing to begin with.

For years, I have been weaning my litters, like in Labrador puppies, with as the Colonel would tease "A secret formula of herbs and spices", of course it's not so secret when it comes in an envelope inside a box of Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup!

So, let's let the cat out of the box or is it a rabbit out of a hat, whatever your choice of critters out of containers maybe, chicken noodle soup has been a mainstay in raising my little chickadees into fat rolly-polly, cute as pig's ear Lab puppies.

So gather close by the fireside, ears close to the radio and I will give you a down home chat on how I get my puppies to forget about momma and come a running when I bring them their meals.

You take an envelop of chicken noodle soup and add it to a cup of boiling water.
Stir real good and don't be eating any of it for yourself, because as the Campbell commercial always says, "It's mmmmm good!"

I then add a cup of Max Large Breed Puppy dry dog food and let it stand for a while until the dry food has soaked in the chicken noodle broth.

To this scrumptious looking gruel, actually it does smell very inviting, I then add 3/4 cup of goat milk and 1/4 cup of rich, butterfat milk.

Talk about puppies devouring their food and for me it is such a welcome reprieve not having to bottle feed each puppy one at a time!

Puppies will suckle from their moms for up to the age of 4 weeks. Usually at that time, the old law of economics will appear, only in reverse mode, demand will far outstrip supply! The ever-fast growing pups will suckle the mom dry in minutes.

Me, the surrogate mom, then jumps in and hand feeds the pups with a mixture of goat milk, butterfat milk and Enfamil baby formula. Up to three times a day for a whole week each pup will be hand fed until they are old enough for the chicken noodle soup adventure.

So, here we are at the Yeehaw Junction in the road, as I stop momentarily to read my emails before I take my newest crop of puppies their first-ever meal that will certainly taste like chicken!

So, until the next blog writing mood strikes, with my favorite cowboy in mind, happy trails to you!

No comments: